I've just completed Frederich Buechner's latest novel, The Son of Laughter, which retells the story of Jacob. I percieve anew the reality of the Old Testament as a state of pregnancy: the sickness of doubt, kickings of promise, fear, joy, longing. I see Christ as the fulfillment of those groaning years. I inherit the legacy, I belong to that seed; I, too, yearn and groan for a future, sustained by Faith in the promises and the heritage of those who have preceeded me. The Blessing runs off with me. "It is beautiful and it is appalling. It races through the barren hills to an end of its own." I am the daughter of the Son of Laughter, and my name has its own humble niche in the glorious geneology of the Promise.
How wonderful are the ways of God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mutual Friendship as the key to radical involvement in changing society
Yesterday between church services we drove out to the old house so that Jonathan could have band practice. Living in Cokato for a month and ...
-
The cranberry red minivan had acquired a shimmy in recent years--a fact that its driver, Abraham, regarded in much the same way he regarded ...
-
I am... 1. Learning Italian! Thanks to a generous loan of some audio CDs and workbooks from Vowsh, I have a plan that will get me here all t...
-
The eyes open to a cry of pulleys, And spirited from sleep, the astounded soul Hangs for a moment bodiless and simple As false dawn. Outside...
No comments:
Post a Comment