Friday, October 10, 2008

the heart-shackles are not, as you think,
death, illness, pain,
unrequited hope, not loneliness, but
lassitude, rue, vainglory, fear, anxiety,
selfishness
---
When I first found you I was
filled with light, now the darkness grows
and it is filled with crooked things, bitter
and weak, each one bearing my name.
---
I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
---
Lord, I will learn also to kneel down
into the world of the invisible,
the inscrutable and the everlasting.
---
I had such a longing for virtue, for company.
I wanted Christ to be as close as the cross I wear. ...
...I prayed, oh Lord, let me be something
useful and unpretentious...
Lord, let me be the flower, even a tare; or a sparrow.
Or the smallest bright stone in a ring worn by someone
brave and kind, whose name I will never know.
---
Help me to hear and to hold
in all dearness those exacting and wonderful
words of our Lord Christ Jesus, saying:
Follow me.
---
God, once he is in your heart,
is everywhere--
---
Everywhere I go I am
treated like royalty, which I am not. I thirst and
am given water. My eyes thirst and I am given
the white lilies on the black water. My heart
sings but the apparatus of singing doesn't convey
half what it feels and means.
I always find my own soul looking up at me when I read Mary Oliver. I always leave with deep breathing and squared shoulders and eager eyes.

No comments:

Mutual Friendship as the key to radical involvement in changing society

Yesterday between church services we drove out to the old house so that Jonathan could have band practice. Living in Cokato for a month and ...