I love Faulkner. Without my conscious involvement, he guides my mind to make associative connections that gradually expose all the textures and emotions of the story he is telling. I start reading, absorbing, not quite "getting" the words...and then suddenly it is there: I know what is going on, and I am personally involved, intimately concerned with the characters.
How is he able to work that kind of magic with the same old words we use every day? It thrills me.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mutual Friendship as the key to radical involvement in changing society
Yesterday between church services we drove out to the old house so that Jonathan could have band practice. Living in Cokato for a month and ...
-
The cranberry red minivan had acquired a shimmy in recent years--a fact that its driver, Abraham, regarded in much the same way he regarded ...
-
I am... 1. Learning Italian! Thanks to a generous loan of some audio CDs and workbooks from Vowsh, I have a plan that will get me here all t...
-
The eyes open to a cry of pulleys, And spirited from sleep, the astounded soul Hangs for a moment bodiless and simple As false dawn. Outside...
No comments:
Post a Comment