Friday, August 24, 2007

cheers to living ontologically!

Today hailed another convocation of studies at Covenant College: bagpipes and ceremonial cowls, tassels and berets, whistling, applause, creationfallredemptionconsumation...the whole deal. I pondered anatomy, Shakespeare, the twentieth century, and the meaning of "redeeming the time." It is Felty's birthday, as well...we shared coffee and toasted to her new decade in our bathtowels.
In the midst of the festivities, I am doing my best to live ontologically. To BE: recognizing that each moment in time encompasses both the past and the future (thank you T.S. Eliot), and that I must not allow my self image (warped and murky as a funhouse mirror by starlight) to get in the way of my self (that elusive spirit that vanishes the moment I focus on it, that is most real when it is least aware of itself). Confusified yet? Because I sure am. (Thank you, Madeleine L'Engle.)
What I am attempting, day by day, is to live a life of humble integrity. That is living ontologically. And God knows (and has said) it is impossible. But the closer I approach it, the nearer I will approach wholeness.

1 comment:

Angela said...

i have vowed this time and time again. the trial is not is vowing it or doing it. it is in forgiving yourself for just not quite being there yet and then deciding to try again.

good luck and blessings.

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...