Saturday, December 02, 2017

The Smiling Host

Their feet are freshly scrubbed, and now
Their bellies will be filled--we know how
they feel, those quarrelsome disciples
gathered around the meal.

But what must it have signified to You,
Their humble host, on brink of sacrifice?
A foretaste of what You would win
Your view within the room that night.
To hold each foot, fouled and rough,
And make the reeking flesh come clean.
To watch them chew the broken loaf,
Their bushy beards amassing crumbs,
And cheer their spirits with the wine
That stained their wagging tongues.
The Love that animated Your travail
Must have rejoiced to see them eat their fill.

Now, having as well been purified,
I join my fractious family at Your board.
In remembrance of You we sip, divide
The loaf. Oh let me not be inattentive, Lord,
Nor abstract this full-bodied rite to empty rote.
I begin to see there is no better place
Than here, where by Your favor I am brought.
Here my clean soul can feast upon your grace.
Here I can feel my Savior's smiling face.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...