Wednesday, June 20, 2007

big comfy couch

I like the couch that has taken up residence in my apartment. I like it mainly because its ample armrests can easily cushion my cup of coffee, while I perch crosslegged adjacent, my rear perfectly situated in the gap between the seat and back cushions. I like the calm blues--navy and sky--that pinstripe across its curvacious form; the glimpses of exposed stuffing and padding in the corners and crevices. I love that, when I seat myself thus, I command a view of the entire front half of the apartment: the kitchen, dishes littering the sink and green handtowel stuffed in to the refrigerator door; the bookshelf (or should I say movieshelf?) displaying its eclectic wares; the ever-watchful television set, offset by the coca-cola glass of graceful orange flowers; and the windows, offering a splintered vision of the nieghboring vehicles and a fringe of tulip tree greenery.

From this very post, I have visited and revisited the spheres of Facebook and Hotmail, of Banner and People.com--humming along to Michael Buble or Rosie Thomas; chatting on occasion with my roommates as they pass in and out. I have reveled in the melodrama and tedium of reality tv shows. I have shared pot after pot of gurgling Maxwell House to visitors.

From this vantage point, I can say with a sigh of satisfaction, that it has been a good summer.

Cheers.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...