Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring:

Well: here I am, the second day into my all-too-brief Easter break, and nothing accomplished, excepting a gorgeous three-hour hike on the cross-country trails and a book pleasure-read and savored to the last punctuation mark. All the portentous goals I so studiously mapped out on the m&m "to do" list notepad on my refrigerator...alas, remain there. But I have had a lovely time.

Spring is here! And, as Mary Oliver would chant, "There rises up from the earth such blazing sweetness/ It fills you, thank God, with disorder." I love that. As I wandered through the trails yesterday, I thought about that poem, and how perfectly apt those words were: blazing sweetness. And I thought about that passage in Job, "These are but the outskirts of His ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of Him," as I studied the mosquitoes in the mud puddles and heard the percussion of the bare tree limbs in the breeze. How small a whisper do we hear of Him...and yet that whisper in my ears is so thunderous and so majestic that I cannot comprehend it. It smites me. If these are but the outskirts...I tremble to think about Heaven.

Always when I seek to express the weight of glory that bears down on me, I feel only an aching inadequacy. These trite rhapsodies will never do justice to the reality that so moves me.

My journal is full, and it has been four days since I've last sought to translate my experience into a tangible form. I have to purchase a new one, but I haven't a penny: so online blogging will have to suffice.

Now, I have a paper to write, and coffee to slurp, and a friend to visit.
Tomorrow is Easter!

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...