Saturday, September 06, 2008

spoiled

Last year at this time, I would never have predicted the blessings that would come my way and culminate in a snug, sprawly house buried in a woodsy area of Lookout Mountain. After a summer in which my soul gained a precious sense of firm footing, and my mind burned through book after inspiring book, and my heart revelled in the embrace of home and family...after that foundation was restablized, I landed here: on this couch in a spotless living room, listening to Roxette and the bustle of my beautiful housemates, sipping coffee, my mind still returning every now and then to the words of life that thrilled my spirit this morning.

I feel so sure, so blazingly certain, that all my roads are leading to God these days--my physical, intellectual, emotional, relational roads all, each day, draw me nearer and deeper into the Truth. The Spirit dwells within me, despite my weakness, despite my many failures, and He is purifying me. The promises of the Bible dizzy me. I love my Savior more than I ever have.

"If He is the truth and the life, we will find it out soon enough for ourselves, you can be sure of that. If we want to find it out, if we are willing to draw near in whatever idiotic way we can, all our reservations and doubts notwithstanding, because little by little we find out then that to be where HE is, to go where HE goes, to see through eyes and work with hands like HIS is to feel ourselves at last, is to become fully ourselves at last and fully each other's at last, and to become finally more even than that: to become fully HIS at last." (!) -Buechner, "The Sign by the Highway"

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...