Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Stereotypes make the world a sillier place

As I walk out of Mac Lobby into the frosty air, two grounds work study students stand with leafblowers at the ready. Dressed in camo coats, denim, heavy work gloves, and scuffed-up work boots, with their red noses and disheveled hair, they present a rugged vision of blue collar hardiness.

As I scurry past, I catch a phrase from their gruff conversation. "I was aghast!" one of them is exclaiming, in injured tones.

Bless you, Wielder of the Leafblower, for reminding me that the most enjoyable function of stereotypes is to prime us for such delightful surprises.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...