Thursday, February 12, 2009

a thought

"I will not offer burnt offerings to my God that cost me nothing." II Samuel 24:24

When I consider my attitude towards serving God, I am astounded by how capable I am of placating my conscience while still evading the cost. I am American! The idea of sacrificial sacrifice is utterly foreign. I exact very little of myself, leave huge reserves of my "devoted" being untouched, and yet feel that (perhaps because I am not actively pursuing evil) I am doing a pretty good job serving Christ.

Needless to say, when my fingers bolt this into the blue light of the computer screen, my miserliness stands stark and terrible.

I have youth, health, energy, and a quenchless fount of living water burbling inside of me. Holding back is not an option.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...