Thursday, August 12, 2010

everything's going my way...

Usually I am fast asleep by 11:17 pm on Thursday evening. Tonight, however, my nerves are positively acrobatic, jubilant from the combined influences of a reckless McKay's book-buying binge, four brimming mugs of City Cafe home brew, and an entire evening of heart-lifting conversation. So here I sit on my living room floor, my back against the footrest of our decrepit orange armchair. My new books are heaped on the floor around me, their price tags already unpeeled and wadded up, my name already scrawled on their inside of their covers. I must go to bed, but I just need to scan one last time the juicy array of names: Hass and Cisneros, Chabon and Morrison, Erdrich, Woolf, Hawthorne, Wiesel, Munro, Ishiguro, Sams, Joyce, and Jones.

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the waiting room of my mind. Oh, I cannot wait to get to know every single blessed one of you.

And don't worry, Jonathan Safran Foer. You will be joining us soon, via the United States Postal Service.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...