Friday, April 27, 2012

wonderful work

I am tucking one of the residents in bed for the night.  We've shared a laughter-lush afternoon and evening, and she takes my hand and kisses the top of it as I perch on the edge of her bed and make sure her head is elevated properly. 

"I like you, honey," she informs me--one of many sweet refrains that she frequently addresses to those privileged to spend any amount of time with her. 

"And I love you!" I gush my usual reply, turning her hand over in mine to plant a reciprocal kiss on its wrinkled top. 

"Thank you for kissing my hand," she murmurs.

"You sleep so well, and let me know if you need anything, okay?" 

She reaches her arms up to wrap me in a long hug and says, "I will, honey."

Then I am on my feet and thinking ahead to the work that remains for me to do once I leave the dark bedroom.  I notice, as I cast a parting smile in her direction, that her face is quizzical.  "Is everything okay?" I ask, pausing in the chink of hall light to await her response. 

She hesitates, and then says vaguely, "I need something."

I turn my full attention on her again.  "What can I do for you?"

Her eyes widen and she scootches upright in her bed, declaring with enthusiastic abruptness--as though she's made a compelling discovery--

"I need another hug!" 

---

Every day I see or hear something that more or less kills me with delight, that leaves me like a needle in a haystack of light...
(Mary Oliver)

1 comment:

Holly said...

that makes me teary! I love your story telling gift!

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...