Saturday, June 27, 2009

"The day's crowding arrived / at this abundant stillness. ... / Gift after gift." (Levertov)

It has been a joyously productive morning in my house today. Our dogs are luxuriating in their fragrant glossy fur (Dove rejuvenating shampoo) after the usual wrestling bout that is bathtime. The kitchen gleams, the bathrooms sparkle, and the living room carpet is lined with vacuum marks. I've made a pot of coffee, and am allowing myself the special indulgence of a third cup as I sit here at the computer and watch the trees pan the sunlight through their branches.

I love these sated pauses for the luxury they are. It is so rarely that I truly lean back and blink the world into fresh focus, so rarely that I can fill my being with the bounty of it and translate that bounty into a yearning song of gratitude.

With Mary Oliver, this morning I am gushing, "Oh! / the sweetness of reality!"

It is a day when my hosannahs crackle with blinding alleluiahs.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...