Tuesday, September 22, 2009

enjoy your self

I was so sure that today would be horrible. It was with some abashment that I found a smile on my face and a lightness in my fingers as I swaddled trashcans with fresh empty liners. Enjoying myself.

Isn't that a funny phrase? But I was. I was enjoying whipping air into the crisp creased bags and watching them billow out. I was enjoying the satisfaction of pulling the fourth corner tight and knotting it, tugging it down and tucking the tail under, a process that feels like second nature after four years of practice.

It simply did not matter that I woke late and hadn't my usual hour to savor coffee and settle into wakefulness at the pace of the natural world. It didn't matter that the clouds continued their surly heavenly coup and had sent yet more troops to swamp the areas of weak defense on campus overnight.

What matters is that my nerves are like tastebuds, and everything is delicious, and I don't know why but I am glad.

Enjoy yourself today. Head, shoulders, knees, and toes. Eyes, ears, and mouth, and nose.

Put your whole self in and turn yourself around. That's what it's all about.

No comments:

To Mom

Who would have thought, when years had passed,  and you had left this world for good, I'd find such comfort remembering the way it felt ...